Sunday 10 April 2011

Cusano Habano Sun Grown LXI Robusto

Cusano Habano Sun Grown LXI
5 x 50 Robusto
Made in Domincan Republic
Wrapper: Dominican Sun Grown Ecuadorian Habano
Binder:  Dominican Sun Grown Ecuadorian Habano
Filler:  Dominican Ligero
Paid: $12 CDN from Cigar Studio

The first third I get a creamy sweet floral, with slight wood flavour.  Not bad, but certainly nothing special.  I think the wood is what detracts from it.

I saw some reviews that also noted cherry, and I usually call BS when I hear flavours like that.  By the second third the wood disappears, but at the end of the exhale I do get a cherry flavour in there now.  Quite a surprise.   The aroma also has a very sweet vanilla.  This is turning out to be a really good smoke.

This cigar did leave an acidic aftertaste on the tongue, that wasn't overpowering, and bordered on pleasent for some reason.  I usually don't like that taste.

The ash was pure white, but flaked off very easy, and never held for more then a half inch.  The smoke is really thick, and white. It's pretty strong, on the medium to full power end, and definitely full bodied.  I found the best way to smoke this, and get all the flavour was to NOT to retrohale.  As I exhaled, I would slightly breath the smoke in the nose, and would get the vanilla added.

If you read the above, you would think I'm going to conclude this was a great smoke, and highly recommend it.  Not the case.  I had huge burn issues.  This thing went out constantly.  The last half was brutal.  It went out almost every few puffs.  I walked away from the last inch, because I was so annoyed, despite enjoying the flavours.

Almost every review I read, I think every review I read, notes similar burn issues.  It's not a case of it being too wet either.  This thing spent a few months in my desktop humidor which sits at 58-60% RH.  

I would say try this cigar, and hope you don't get the burn issues, and enjoy what this stick has to offer, but I would not buy a box.  I might get a few, I they could be had for a couple of dollars.


No comments:

Post a Comment