Saturday 19 February 2011

Casa Magna Colorado Pikito

Casa Magna Colorado 
Pikito 4 3/4 x 42
Made in Nicaragua
Wrapper: Nicaraguan
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan

Paid: $9 CDN
Age: Purchased late 2010 from the Cigar Studio.
Drink: Ice Water & Diet Pepsi

Bought this a couple months ago on the recommendation of my local cigar store, with the tag of being Cigar Aficionados 2008 Cigar of the Year .

The First Two Thirds
Very smooth.  I was told it's a medium to full strength, but it came across as mild.  I had no problem taking in deep long draws, and got very subtle peppery sensations in the nose on the exhale.  Overall I got a mild woody, and sweet flavour, but it was for the most part bland, and unexciting.

Gave off nice thick smoke, but the burn was pretty uneven, and I made numerous corrections.  The draw was also very tight.  Twice I got the cutters out, and opened it up a little more, but it didn't seem to help much.

For the most part uneventful, and I was left very unimpressed.

The Final Third
This is what made the cigar a happy ending.  For the first time I actually tasted subtle, very sweet caramel tastes every few draws.  I've never had that taste in any cigar, EVER!!!  I was very excited.  The lingering smoke also turned very sweet with a caramel aroma.  I ran to my small powder bathroom, and hot boxed myself for a bit to fully enjoy it.

This was also my undoing.  By the very end I was really feeling the nicotine, as I was drawing to quickly to re-experience the caramel flavours.  I never had a sick feeling, but went to bed shortly after.  I woke up the next morning with a hang-over type headache, deep in the center of my eyeballs.  I've never had this happen before, and not sure if I can attribute it to the cigar.

Overall
I was happy to finally taste a caramel flavour in a cigar.  If the whole cigar was like that I would do my best to obtain this cigar in quantity.  For now I'm going to go by another pikito, and the Robusto version, and let it sit in my humidor, and revisit this cigar again next summer perhaps.  Maybe age will make it even better.



No comments:

Post a Comment