Saturday 26 February 2011

Noris Corona

Conona 4 1/3 x 38
Made in Dominican Republic
Paid: $60 USD for a box of 25

I picked these up last year from the local shop on resort in Punta Cana (Barcelo Premium Resort).  I tried a few local brands like Vista Real, Santa Ana, and this one, Noris.  Noris is a local cigar company in the Dominican Republic, in the Bavaro area near Punta Cana.

The construction is very nice.  The wrappers are a claro color, perhaps a Connecticut shade wrapper, but I couldn't confirm that.  Some of the cigars have a blue/green tinge in spots on the wrapper, mostly seen in the vein lines in spots.  A little google research shows this has something to do with chlorophyll retention, and does not appear to affect flavour.

I've had about a dozen of these, and they burn great, and seem to get better every time I smoke one. The draw is always perfect.

For the price, these are great cigars.  Very mild.  The flavour is very sweet, with no harshness.  The aroma they give off is great.  A sweet, almost vanilla flavour is in the smoke,  like burning incense.  

Shortly after starting the last third, I find they tend to get harsh quickly, possibly from me drawing to hard on them.  Seeing as you end up paying only a few bucks per stick, it's not hard to put it down, and walk away.

If your in the Dominican Republic, and see them kick around, I suggest you grab a few for a couple of bucks, and give them a shot.  I found all the local brands I tried were decent.  The price of cubans isn't much cheaper there, and the chance of counterfeits is high, so you might as well go for something different.

No comments:

Post a Comment