Friday 25 February 2011

Montecristo Open Junior

Montecristo Open Junior
Petite Conona 4 1/3 x 38
Made in Cuba

Paid: $10 CDN
Age: Purchased today from local B&M
Drink: Diet Pepsi

These have been sitting at a local B&M in an open box for awhile.  I've checked out the reviews, and the common theme was it's a beginner cigar.  As such it's received poor reviews from everyone who is a seasoned cigar smoker, but I've never heard from a new smoker... which I am.  My local B&M tried to steer me away from this purchase, as he thought it was too mild, and has not had good feedback from customers.

The draw was fairly tight, and the burn was uneven from start to finish.  Gave off decent smoke.  It burned quick, and lasted about 45 minutes.

The first half was OK.  It's very mild.  There was no harshness to it, and has a predominant woody flavour, and that's about it.  By the second half, it went out about 4 times, which ruined it for me.  I ended up putting this cigar down at the last inch.  The second half appeared to have no flavour at all.

I don't know if I would call this cigar smooth.  My main beef with this smoke was the unbelievably strong ammonia odor it gave off.  I have heard people complain of the smell with other cigars, but yet to ever experience it myself.  Made it very difficult to be around the lingering smoke, and made the experience on the whole unpleasant.  I understand this is from being a young smoke, but it's been sitting in his humidor for about a year now.

I simply cannot recommend this cigar.  If this was handed to me a year ago as an intro to cigars, I would not think to continue, and assume cigars were not for me.  Perhaps with a few years of aging the ammonia will go away, and become enjoyable. With the Montecristo No. 5 in the same size and price range, the Open Junior is disastrous, and really doesn't have a niche if it lack's flavour for a seasoned smoker, yet to young to be enjoyed by a new comer.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experience.you are right,Montecristo Cigar are really wonderful and the best cigars.These cigar have huge demand in the market.Any one can enjoy it as it is very smooth.

    thanks
    Juan Lopez Cigars

    ReplyDelete