Thursday 17 February 2011

Cusano 59 Rare Cameroon Robusto Review

Cusano 59 Rare Cameroon 
Robusto 5x50
Made in Dominican Republic
Wrapper: African Cameroon
Binder: Dominican
Filler: Domincan with a wrapper leaf.

Price: $10 CDN - These were on special, regular $12.
Age: Purchased early February from Cigar Studio, and sat in my humidor for a few weeks.
Drink: Ice Water & Diet Pepsi with Spiced Rum

The cigar lit well, but my torch lighter started to die, and I had to get the flame right on it to get it going.  This also caused an uneven burn right off the hop.  The first few draws were harsh. My first thoughts were, 'This is going to be brutal'. After it settled down, I got a predominant wood flavour, like cedar.  It also had a sweet taste in there with some spiciness.  The burn also evened out nicely by itself after several more draws.

I found I had to really slow my pace.  Taking shallow to medium draws, and not letting to much in or out my nose really allowed the wood flavour to come out, and be enjoyed.  Otherwise a nice full draw came off as really caustic, and harsh.  

At about the half way point, I got a little distracted, and slowed down for a bit. I was surprised it went completely out on me.  After the relight, it was crap tasting really harsh, and ashy.  I ended up digging out the ash to about the last third, and gave it another relight.  This worked, and the wood flavours were out again, but I still kept getting the occasional harsh draw.  A few times I had to gargle some water, and breath in some fresh air to clean out the taste.  I also got a really dry for the final third.

The smoke that came off was fairly thick, but had a fairly bad aroma, one I would relate to a stinky cheap cigar.  I often enjoy the aroma of the lingering smoke, and have no problem temporarily walking through the house with a cigar, but not the case here.  Definitely one I would keep out doors.

I smoked it down to the nub.  All in all I would say it was an OK experience, that may have been better had the cigar not gone out half way through.  The predominant flavour is definitely woody, with sweetness, and spice from start to finish.  I got a moderate nicotine buzz near the end, that bordered on uncomfortable. 

There is nothing that would make me want to go out, and buy more, especially considering there is so much out there to try, and the expense involved.







No comments:

Post a Comment