Tuesday 8 March 2011

Bravos Nicaraguan Robusto

Bravos Nicaraguan Robusto 
Robusto 5.5 x 50
Wrapper: Appears to be a corojo
Binder: assuming Nicaragua
Filler: assuming Nicaragua
Paid: $5 CDN from local Holy Smokes (Loblaws Superstore)
Drink: Diet Pepsi

I smoked this one last week, and never got around to typing up a review.  You can't find much on the web about this brand, other then people asking for information about this brand.  It looks like the label has been knocked off a Cubao band.  Perhaps it is a factory second of Cubao.  Loblaws carries a few different labels that are known to be factory seconds, rejects.

The construction is pretty nice, and has leather pre-light aroma.

Upon lighting, the dominant flavour in this thing is ashtray.  I could really taste nothing else.  My first thought was 'Its a short filler machine made cigar'.  That's the only time I have ever tasted anything that awful

I gave it to the half way point, and had enough (including a headache).  I cut it open to confirm my suspicion, and to my surprise it was actually long filler.  I ended up talking to the guy who sold me it at Holy Smokes, and he was shocked by my experience.  He chalked it up to a bad stick, and kindly fronted me a second at no cost.

My second experience was better, in that it didn't taste like an ashtray, but it was still really dry, and bland left me parched.  You got a slight earth, and some pepper in the nose, but barely enough to mention.  I still have a Maduro which looks to be a Corona Gorda left.  I'm not looking forward to the day I have to light that up.

4 comments:

  1. So did you purchase this stick at a certain humidity, or have I missed the plot as to why they were so dry and tasted so bitter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My experience was no better, but when I cut it open after only 2 puffs I found nothing but short garbage floor sweepings filler. I don't mind a Fonseca Delicias short filler, they're one of my favorites but I won't ever smoke this ashtray of a cigar ever again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my first two puffs and i was inhaling filler. very dissatisfied

    ReplyDelete
  4. The green label was so bad i didnt even get through the first third lmao, but the bravo red, corona i actually really like. Its my favourite cheap cigar

    ReplyDelete