Friday 25 March 2011

TTT Trinidad Robusto

TTT Trinidad Robusto 
5 x 50
Made in Dominican Republic          
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra
Binder: Connecticut Broadleaf
Filler:  Dominican, Nicaraguan, Peruvian
Paid: $30 for a sampler of 8 from JR Cigars ($4 CDN)
Drink: Diet Pepsi with Jack Daniels

The pre-light aroma on this is the best I've smelt to date.  Tremendous aroma of caramel, chocolate, and some leather.  I really want to eat this stick  In my experience, this is usually followed by a huge let down (Alec Bradley Family Blend comes to mind).  Another bone of contention I have coming in is, smoking traditional Cuban brands, in a non Cuban format.  Their never as good as the Cuban.  We'll see.

It lights fine, the construction looks and feels great.  The burn is perfect from front to back.  I get some long ashes with this one.

While not nowhere near as bad as the Alec Bradley Family Blend, the flavour is as I suspected.  Bland.  It's a very smooth, mild tobacco flavour, with some kind of sweetness, that I find common in Dominican cigars, it's just nowhere near the point of quenching my pallets thirst for flavour, like I get in a Cuban cigar.  The last third really gets ashy tasting.

Every now and then you get the rich taste of the wrapper on your tongue, but that same feat can be accomplished by not lighting the cigar. There was no harshness, and the smoke did have a creaminess to it, which is another plus.  Very mild in body, flavour. and strength.  Could easily be smoke by anyone new or old to cigars.

Overall I can't say anything bad about the stick. It's smokable.  I'd have no problem smoking another, just nothing exciting, and no where near the experience of smoking a Cuban Trinidad.  Also nowhere near the price of it's Cuban counterpart either.  This cigar would probably retail in the $12 range, while a Cuban can be as much as triple that.

My search for a non-Cuban cigar that impresses me, and I can love as much as a Cuban continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment