Saturday 12 March 2011

Montecristo No. 4

Montecristo No 4
5 × 42 
Made in Cuba
Paid: $15 CDN
Drink: Water

I can't believe this wasn't my first blog review.  I've had a several of these, and right now it's my go to cigar.  I ended up buying a box, dated OCT09, and while I don't know the box dates for the few I smoked before it, the experience has always been consistent.  That's part of the reason why I love them... No surprises.

These things are made great, and smoke great.   From start to finish I find you get a perfect balance and blend of earth, and wood.  It's never overwhelming.  As long as I keep my draw slow and smooth, on the exhale I  get the tasty aroma of the wrapper, mixed with a kinda chocolate/cocoa taste that just sites on the back of my tongue on the exhale.  Makes me salivate.

It doesn't produce a whole lot of thick smoke compared to a lot of other cigars, but the aroma is pleasant.

The only downside I consistently find with this cigar (and quite a few other Cubans), if I draw to fast, and let it burn to hot, it will get this bitter, varnish type flavour, that takes the place of the chocolaty taste I mentioned earlier.  Completely ruins the smoke.  I really have to take my time with it, and not ever rush it.

I think this is one of the best cigars I can recommend to a beginner, as its flavour is smooth, and the tobacco kick is mild.  You just can't go wrong here.

No comments:

Post a Comment